ISSN (Print) - 0012-9976 | ISSN (Online) - 2349-8846

A+| A| A-

Inclusivity in School Education and the Budget

Case of Children with Disabilities

As a signatory to the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, India is committed to ensure equal access to all levels of education and vocational training for vulnerable children. However, children with disabilities continue to be excluded from India’s education system. This article tries to examine how states are budgeting for education of CWDs by analysing existing interventions both by union and state governments, through a detailed analysis of school education budgets for six states.

The author acknowledges the comments given by the anonymous reviewer.

Any discussion on inclusive education must include children with disabilities (CWDs). However, CWDs continue to be the most neglected group in the education system. India is home to 4.9 million CWDs in the age group of 6–17. Only 67% of them attend any educational institutions and the remaining 33% have either dropped out or never attended any educational institutions; whereas the all-India average of school attendance rate for this age group is 80% (Census of India 2011). Existing literature shows that CWDs are more likely to be out of school than children from Scheduled Caste (SC) or Scheduled Tribe (ST) categories (World Bank 2007; MHRD 2014). Moreover, when these children do attend schools they rarely progress beyond the primary level (World Bank 2007). Thus, only 0.2% of the total enrolment in higher education is represented by CWDs (MHRD 2018). This clearly indicates that our education system remains unsuccessful in providing equal access to education to all children of this country.

Existing Policies

Dear Reader,

To continue reading, become a subscriber.

Explore our attractive subscription offers.

Click here


To gain instant access to this article (download).

Pay INR 50.00

(Readers in India)

Pay $ 6.00

(Readers outside India)

Updated On : 13th Oct, 2020
Back to Top